Jie is a Partner in DaHui’s Beijing office. His primary practice areas include antitrust, anti-unfair competition, compliance, international trade, M&A and intellectual property. Jie’s practice covers a broad range of industry sectors, including TMT, healthcare, automotive, chemicals, real estate, sovereign funds, private equity, food & beverage, retail, logistics, energy, finance and traditional manufacturing.
Prior to joining DaHui, Jie worked at a top-tier international law firm for several years, where he represented clients in numerous complex merger filings and antitrust investigations, as well as provided compliance advice and training to both multinational and Chinese clients. Jie also worked at the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) for over 10 years, where he was deputy director of the Department of Treaty and Law and was heavily involved in the drafting of regulations and handling matters relating to competition, trade disputes, intellectual property and investment. Jie has a thorough understanding of the unique legal, political and cultural environment of China, and is adept at dealing with Chinese authorities and providing pragmatic solutions to clients.
Jie’s representative matters include:
Merger Control and M&A
- Represented HP on the merger filing in relation to the establishment of a strategic joint venture between HP and Tsinghua with the sale of a 51% stake in new H3C
- Represented Berkshire Hathaway on the merger filing in relation to its USD37.2 billion acquisition of U.S. company Precision Castparts Corp
- Represented TNT Express N.V. on a merger filing in relation to its acquisition by FedEx Corporation by means of a EUR4.4bn recommended public offer
- Represented Seagate to successfully lift the hold-separate remedies imposed by MOFCOM on the landmark merger control case in China: its acquisition of Samsung HDD
- Represented Merck KGaA on the merger filing and remedy implementation in relation to its acquisition of AZ Electronics
- Represented a leading international semiconductor foundry company on the merger filing in relation to its acquisition of certain assets of IBM
- Represented a leading domestic real estate company on the merger filings in relation to its series of transactions with a multinational private equity firm in the real estate market
- Represented a leading international aircraft manufacturer on the merger filing in relation to its joint venture project with a national flag carrier for the provision of pilot training services.
- Represented a leading international media corporation on the merger filing in relation to its joint venture project to provide audio-visual content
- Represented a leading international chemical company on the merger filing in China in relation to its joint venture projects with a leading Chinese SOE to produce ethanol and generate biomass electricity in China
- Represented a leading international water treatment company on the merger filing in relation to its joint venture project with a large Chinese SOE to provide water treatment services
Investigation and Compliance
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company on an investigation launched by the antitrust enforcement agency of China
- Represented an international medical device company on an investigation launched by the antitrust enforcement agency of China
- Represented a major hotel group on an investigation launched by the price law enforcement agency of China
- Represented a global infant milk company on an investigation launched by the antitrust enforcement agency of China
- Represented a global auto parts company on a PRC cartel-like audit
- Represented a global food company on its compliance program
- Represented a trade association representing leading foreign-based consumer goods companies in relation to the revised draft of the Anti-Unfair Competition Law